If you are experiencing Windows keeps crashing on Windows 10 and Windows 11, the issue might some files are missing or corrupting Windows files, in this article, you will know about how to fix Windows or file explorer crashing issues with simple and easy steps.
This is a common issue for crashing the files follow the steps below carefully it might resolve your system issue and no matter which operating system version you are using these provided steps suitable for both Windows 10 and Windows 11.
Try following the steps below to fix the Windows Explorer crashing
1. Restart the Windows Explorer
- Go to the task manager by right click on the start button or simply press the Ctrl+Alt+Del button simultaneously.
2. Once opened click on the process tab and then can click on windows explorer and right click and then click on restart.
3. You should restart the system once finished this task and check if it resolves the issue
2. Run (SFC scan) system file checker
SFC scan repairs the Windows corrupt files, crashes, setting issues, and apps keep closing when you open.
- Type cmd (command prompt)in the search bar and click on Run as Administrator in the menu list, you should click on yes if the UAC prompt.
- Type the below command or copy and paste it over on the cmd and should press enter
3. Command starts the scan of all system files and repairs the corrupted files
4. You must restart the system once the scan is completed successfully.
After restarting the system you can check whether Windows or file explorer still crashing or not, you can continue the steps if still you are facing the same issue is happening.
3. Clear History of File Explorer
one of the reasons for crashing Windows Explorer by running for longer periods and accumulating lots of files so Explorer may be crashing.
- Go to the Run the command by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
- Type Control folders
3. You can see the Filer Explorer tab open
4. Click ok and restart the system, then check if the Windows Explorer is working or not.
4. Windows updates
Microsoft launches the latest updates periodically and Windows updates resolve many issues and fixed security issues and many bugs. should check Windows updates regularly to run the system smoothly without issues created.
Go to settings> Click update & security> Click on Check for updates
OR you may go through the below steps to navigate the Windows updates page.
- Go to settings by pressing the Windows+R key
2. Click on check for updates, and wait for detecting new updates.
3. If updates are available you should download and install the updates and make sure to internet connection won’t interrupt or disconnected during installing the Windows updates.
If updates are not installed or getting any kind of error then go through the link on how to fix the Windows update error
4. Once installed the Windows updates then restart the system and check if the issue might be resolved.
5. Run a malware scan
Run the malware scan using third-party applications to detect any viruses and malware which is causing the crashing windows explorer, if you are not using any third-party virus application or your subscription expired then you should open windows defender thanks to Microsoft for providing inbuilt scan ie Windows Defender you can run the Windows defender to scan the system
How to open Windows Defender
- Press Windows + R key > Type Windows Defender and then press enter
- Click on Windows security> Click on Virus and Threat Protection.
- Click on the scan options> Select the Windows Defender offline scan then press on the scan now
You get a pop-up once click on scan now “Windows Defender Offline scan will take some time and restart your device. you must save and close all applications before you restart the system.
If Windows Defender finds any virus during the scan, Windows security may attempt to Quarantine or remove the files. it is the best option to use the scan and protect from the malware and safe to use.
6. Launch the Windows folder in a separate process
Windows Explorer runs default as a single processing you can try launching the Windows folder in a separate process Windows Explorer crashes due to slower the system so you should separate them.
- Type Windows + R key to open the Run command and type “Control Folders“
- You can see the File Explorer options tab> Click on the View tab and drop down with the help of the mouse cursor and tick mark the Launch folder Windows in a separate process.
- Click apply and then OK
- You must restart the System and check if the issue might be fixed.
if still Windows Explorer crashing then follow the steps below
7. Run Commnad “netsh winsock reset”
Try this command netsh & winsock reset might resolve the Windows Explorer crashing, I hope this method works for most system users.
- Type CMD in the search bar and click on Run as administrator, and click on Yes if the UAC prompt.
*You must open the CMD with administrator privileges otherwise this command cannot be done.
2. Type the below command and hit enter
netsh winsock reset
3. Once successfully executed then restart the system
4. Once the System restarted press the Windows +E key together and check whether Windows Explorer crashing issue is resolved or not.
Follow the next steps if still Windows Explorer crashing
8. Restore the system
Restoring the system can resolve many issues if you face any other issues, system restores and never deletes personal files such as photos, videos, and applications but updates are changing so you should update the applications or reinstall the applications.
To restore the system
- Type control panel> Search recovery>open system restore then click on next
You can also follow this article for details about system restore
If a system restores point is not created or not available then do not worry there is an alternate option enabled from Microsoft Windows
Reset the system using keep saving files
- Type System reset and open it from the menu list
2. Under Recovery you should click on the Get Started
3. You can see the pop-up reset the PC Choose an option
You can select Keep my files or Remove everything
4. Once you selected the appropriate option you should follow the onscreen instructions to finish the process and make sure the battery has sufficient charge before you reset the PC