Windows updates failed during the cumulative updates and noticed some errors and asking restart the system and try again but even if not installed after restarting the system, follow the few steps below on how to update windows 11 without losing your data.
Before you update the windows updates check storage space if C drive not having enough storage it might cause failed the updates.
Step 1: Run Windows update troubleshooter
1. Click start
2. Settings>system>troubleshoot> Other troubleshooters and follow the onscreen instructions.
3. Once done, restart the system then try updating windows again.
Step 2: Check Windows updates service is enabled or disabled
- Type services in the search bar and open the services list
You can open the services by an alternate method simply press Windows key R key and together (Windows+R key)
2. Type service.msc then hit enter
3. Search windows update services in the list
4. Select and right-click on Windows update service and click to open properties.
5. Select start type and select automatic
if already automatic then click stop and start the services
6. Restart the system and try again for windows updates
Step 3: Check windows update option and Delivery option are enabled or disabled
1. Go to settings>click on update & security
2. Click on the Advanced option> make sure “Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows” is enabled or on status.
3. Select PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet
4. Try windows updating again
If the issue still persists then follow the reset the windows update components
Step 4: Reset the Windows update components
1. open the cmd (Command prompt) and run as Administrator
2. Try these commands one by one, copy the below command and paste it over CMD
Note: should press enter after each command
- net stop wuauserv and press
- net stop cryptSvc and press
- net stop bits and press
- ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and press
- ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old and press
- net start wuauserv and press
- net start cryptSvc and press
- net start bits and press
- netsh winsock reset
3. Restart the System and update the windows the above steps fix your system windows update issue.